Thursday, November 6, 2008

Warepa School


Last weekend I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at the 150th Jubilee of the Warepa School. This village is tucked into the gently rolling hills of South Otago, and still offers schooling to local families. I might be wrong, but I think it is the 4th oldest school in Otago.
I really do enjoy photographing these events. All the attendees have their childhood in common, and many of the stories they tell are quite amusing. And they come from all over to be there, even a couple from England were there for the weekend. At the get together on the Friday night, I watched as two elderly gentlemen met each other for the first time in 46 years. Within minutes, they had resumed the conversation they had not quite completed all those years ago, one even reminding the other that he was supposed to do something before he left. All find out something surprising about the people they were at Primary School with. Some change more than others.
I could go on, but I want to thank Forbsie for organising me, Maree the mother of the great Rugby players for writing up the board, and current pupils Cameron and Tegan, who went back and forward with the board all afternoon. Greg for the truck, and thanks to the 214 in the big photo for your endurance, it was cold and windy.
Feel free to book me now for the big one in 50 years time.
In the top photo, two ladies in their nineties cut the cake with the youngest pupil and a boy representing the generations who have been to school in this place.
In the bottom photo, all who were there on the Saturday (except the local newspaper reporter), got in the picture. A brief time in a long history.


No comments:

Post a Comment