Sunday, October 12, 2008

Central Rocks


Last Friday night quite a good crowd of interested and interesting people gathered at 'Central Stories', our local museum. The event was the launching of a book titled "Central Rocks", a guide to the geology and landscapes of Central Otago. It was written by Daphne Lee and Jane Forsyth, (top photo) and is a much needed addition to the basics of geology in this area. We live in an area that is geologically unique, and because I do not know much about it, will not go into more detail here. But being the father of five curious kids, it has always been a source of some irritation that I do not know the answer to 'what sort of rock is this Dad?' type questions. While this little gem of a book does not answer all those sort of questions, it does give me enough information to make my answer at least interesting.

In the second photo the book is being held by our Mayor, himself a geologist, Dr. Martin McPherson. To his left are the two authors, Daphne Lee and Jane Forsyth, and to his right is the Director of the museum, Brian Patrick.

I wanted to place the two authors at the bottom of this post, but that is one of the many things I have to learn about this system.

Well done Ladies. I look forward to your next book.


No comments:

Post a Comment