Sunday, October 12, 2008

Anyone for ..... Petanque?

Over the weekend, this town has hosted the New Zealand singles petanque championships. We have quite an active if small club here, and they meet most weeks for a game with whoever turns up. I have always found them welcoming, but I seem to lack the skill and patience for the game myself. When I was getting thrashed by my own children I thought it might be time to try something else, and when they stopped going because of cricket and other stuff, I did not continue going. It is the sort of game that if you practice often, you could become very good. And so it was over the weekend. I watched a few games, and could see that these guys and girls are VERY GOOD at it.
The above photo is of Michael Rocks of Wellington, who over the two days beat all comers to finish up the New Zealand Singles Champion. He was very pleased with his effort, and was very keen to come back here and play again.
All the visitors praised the organisation, and left happy.
Any small organisation that can attract 120 visitors to the town for the weekend should be congratulated.
And, as a final comment, the youngest playing would have been about 13 or 14, and the oldest well into the 70's, so it is good family sport.
My spellcheck tells me that I have Petanque spelt wrong, but I can't find it in my small dictionary. I daresay someone will put me right.

No comments:

Post a Comment